Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The Sadist

Marquis de Sade would have turned in his grave not once but a hundred times yesterday worrying to death over the insult he has been heaped upon by a mere mortal. It is no ordinary insult because if he (Sade) was alive he would have surely committed one last act of gross injustice and hurled himself under the wheels of a chariot or a horsebug.
The fact is that I was honoured to be called by the name of the great Marquis de Sade sometime yesterday night. Probably I am Sadist IVVXXI (you know like in Edward I, Edward IV) but whatever it is I am not fully qualified to be called a Sadist that too by someone who till the other day claimed that I was his best friend.
This best of friend of mine it seems has no spine of his own because his actions and words had been dictated by some comment made by some anonymous friend of his. And what follows is that my friend believes what his friend said about me. Therefore he believes that I am a Sadist. What is appaling but certainly not surprising is that this dear pal of mine cannot make a judgement of his own. (Perhaps much learning has made muted his faculties to the point of skewed thinking, something like a chip which received excess electricity, got short circuited and started behaving in exactly the opposite of the programme code).
Our friendship was more than two years old, quite a long enough time, in this age of quickies like fast food, one night stands etc. We relished biryanis and beef pickles together, shared the obnoxious smell of deo sprays combined with sweat in overcrowded BMTC buses. We shared secrets with each other, I shared his cancerous habit of smoking, me being the passive smoker. There were so many things we knew about each other. In fact there is only one another friend who is across the seven seas with whom I have opened my heart as much as to this friend who called me a sadist.
Coming to think of it, this dear friend who believes I am a sadist, i shall call him as "hoddo" for convenience sake, used me as a sounding board on numerous occasions. Hoddo used to talk to me about torn or massacred underwears too. After all this he thinks I am a sadist and decides to treat me as one and talk to me as one.
This is how he "sadistised" me.
One fine day Hoddo walks in to the office and calmly says, please help me with this assignment, because he has just completed his training and he is still reeling under the training hangover. This innoucous request for help turns into an hour of horror for yours truly. Because this hoddo goes on to say some of the most unseemly remarks about me, goes on to belittle me and in general exposes his Mr Hyde qualities. On second thoughts now, I also feel that he has this feeling that I am a threat to him, in what way I do cannot fathom.
All this shit I calmly took in my stride, because I was not sure which side of the bed he woke up in the morning before his trek to the office. It could also be that Hoddo was in a foul mood because the roaches back in his bathroom used his toothbrush without taking permission from him or maybe one of the elder cockroach cheekily used his unwashed coffee cup as an emergency loo. So you see I probably would have forgotten everything, in any case I have this habit of forgive and forget.
But his last remark was the most disgraceful and a blemish on the sacred and sanctified word called FRIENDSHIP.
Hoddo said: "Oh I can be rude and dont forget that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home